The Amazing Darna, Esq.

days in the life of a superheroine

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Second Low Carb Thought of the Day



Okay, here's an observation.

I used to think that feeling "full" when you eat had to do with the volume of food you take in. Boy was I wrong!

I'm a big fan of McDonald's breakfast. I know it's naughty, but everyone has to be a little naughty sometimes, don't you think? Anyway, I used to be able to eat TWO sausage egg biscuits for breakfast.

The other morning about 6:00 a.m. I went to the drive-thru and ordered my usual 2 sandwiches, thinking I'd just use the biscuit to keep my hands from getting greasy while I ate the protein-rich foods inside, then throw the biscuits away. I ate the sausage and egg from the first sandwich that way, and then started in on the second one. After about two bites, I was so full I couldn't eat any more! I wrapped it up to eat later, but I didn't get hungry until about 1:00 p.m. By then I was in the mood for something different, which turned out to be a spinach salad with turkey, boiled eggs and gorgonzola!

I'm convinced now that it's protein, and not volume, that keeps our tummies full.

3 Comments:

Blogger mamaholstein said...

I love the blog! I'm so happy you've had a little time to work on it. We'll try to stay as low carb as possible this weekend!

Hugs!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Tasharoo said...

Hey Stacey!

How's the low-carb diet going?

Yep! You are right... it definitely is protein that fills you up. You feel full longer and stay satisfied. A huge part of it is that your brain still tells you, you NEED to eat and as much as you use to (darn those brains of ours!)

I had LapBand surgery in August 2003 (lost 90 pounds! Woo Hoo!)

They have found that the sensors in our stomach that tell us we are full are, of course, at the top of our stomachs...DUH! It always seems too late by the time your tummy says it has had enough!

After the healing process of the surgery, all patients are told to eat protein first and then your veges and fruit, etc. The protein fills you up and has the most nutrition for your body.

I hope you are still doing well!...and it just snowed so I know you enjoyed a beautiful, yet frightening, morning yesterday! That snow storm was CRAZY!

5:06 AM  
Blogger Tasharoo said...

P.S. That was a beautiful picture of my favorite item from McDonalds...mmmmm sausage, egg and cheese biscuit...

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home