The Amazing Darna, Esq.

days in the life of a superheroine

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Is Winter Over Yet?


It's the eve of Groundhog Day, and I was just thinking how great February and March snowstorms can be. As you can see, the snow might collect on the grass, but doesn't stick to the roads or sidewalks too much. As I type this, the weather outside is a balmy 41 degrees.

I keep threatening to move to Washington state to escape the Utah winters. I say that I'll move to a city where they don't even own snow removal equipment! But some winter mornings are just so beautiful, I can't help but feel grateful and happy.

Low Carb Thought of the Day
Now that I have started on my low-carb diet (again!) and switched to sugar-free chai (4 net carbs per serving -- gotta have my chai!!), I thought I would document the progress of my journey. Because I don't have a scale that works properly, I have no idea what my starting weight is. Suffice it to say, it's TOO MUCH. But after a week of eating this way, my clothes are already looser, so I am happy.

Today's thought concerns a conversation (not quite an argument) I had with someone recently who knows I am changing my eating habits and was trying to convince me that there are no "bad" foods. While I do agree that carbohydrates themselves are not categorically bad, I have to disagree with the premise of no bad foods. Many truly bad foods are basically processed compounds of stuff that is made palatable but offer little nutritional value. They get their UPC bar code and are sold to an unwary public.

Anyway, categorically bad foods aside, my feeling on carbohydrates is that excessive amounts of them are bad for particular people based on some type of medical condition. That condition could be diabetes, insulin resistance (which can lead to diabetes), and obesity. So because at least one of those applies to me, I choose to restrict my intake of carbohydrates to those that are coupled with nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. Whew! Enough venting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home